This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Update to IImageDataSource/ IImageData

Nov 3, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Here is a copy of my response to a post from FObermaier who raises a good point about some questionable dependencies that exist for working with Images.  He argues, convincingly, that we should not be using a Topology based "Envelope" on the interface.  I point out that we could switch it to "Extents" which lives directly in the Data library itself.  If we do this, it will break HydroDesktop anywhere that an IImageData or an IImageDataSource are referenced, but it would be very easy to fix, as Extents supports a ToEnvelope() directly on the class.  Are there objections to this? Idea?

Ted

--- From DotSpatial Developers group ---

I may want to take a look at this.  Topology is currently where we store the "Envelope".  We have other options now that didn't originally exist.  In Data, I use an alternate to envelope called "Extent", which can be converted into an Envelope as necessary, but lives native to the Data libraries.  We could swap out Envelope references on IImageData to Extent references, and that would mean you could work with IImageDataSource without topology.  I'm not sure about the xxx.Forms though.  That doesn't sound right to me.  I agree you should not need a reference to Forms of any kind to host a DataSource.  I will look into this this evening.

If I update the IImageData in this way, it will be a breaking change that will affect HydroDesktop with respect to the Bing Maps WMS.  I will post to their board to see what they think about making the change from Envelope to Extent before I change anything there.

Ted

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 7:14 AM, FObermaier <felix.obermaier@netcologne.de> wrote:
Has anyone tried to build a plugin for DotSpatial with VisualStudio
2010 Express?
I wanted to create an IImageDataSource for PauldenDulks BruTile
library and fizzled to add the appropriate libraries. Now, I have a
professional version and ReSharper as well, but someone not as lucky
as me might find this as frustrating as I did. And I don't understand
why I need to reference DotSpatial.Topology and all sorts of
xxx.xxx.Forms for a thing like an IImageDataSource.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM
Ted, the most important thing here is to get DotSpatial built correctly so that it can support HydroDesktop (and other projects) long into the future. So if the DS developers are in agreement with this change, then do it. Just keep us posted on how to keep HD caught up. - Dan

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:31 AM, shade1974 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Here is a copy of my response to a post from FObermaier who raises a good point about some questionable dependencies that exist for working with Images. He argues, convincingly, that we should not be using a Topology based "Envelope" on the interface. I point out that we could switch it to "Extents" which lives directly in the Data library itself. If we do this, it will break HydroDesktop anywhere that an IImageData or an IImageDataSource are referenced, but it would be very easy to fix, as Extents supports a ToEnvelope() directly on the class. Are there objections to this? Idea?

Ted

--- From DotSpatial Developers group ---

I may want to take a look at this. Topology is currently where we store the "Envelope". We have other options now that didn't originally exist. In Data, I use an alternate to envelope called "Extent", which can be converted into an Envelope as necessary, but lives native to the Data libraries. We could swap out Envelope references on IImageData to Extent references, and that would mean you could work with IImageDataSource without topology. I'm not sure about the xxx.Forms though. That doesn't sound right to me. I agree you should not need a reference to Forms of any kind to host a DataSource. I will look into this this evening.

If I update the IImageData in this way, it will be a breaking change that will affect HydroDesktop with respect to the Bing Maps WMS. I will post to their board to see what they think about making the change from Envelope to Extent before I change anything there.

Ted

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 7:14 AM, FObermaier <felix.obermaier@netcologne.de> wrote:
Has anyone tried to build a plugin for DotSpatial with VisualStudio
2010 Express?
I wanted to create an IImageDataSource for PauldenDulks BruTile
library and fizzled to add the appropriate libraries. Now, I have a
professional version and ReSharper as well, but someone not as lucky
as me might find this as frustrating as I did. And I don't understand
why I need to reference DotSpatial.Topology and all sorts of
xxx.xxx.Forms for a thing like an IImageDataSource.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (hydrodesktop@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email hydrodesktop@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Daniel P. Ames, Ph.D. PE
Associate Professor, Geosciences
Idaho State University - Idaho Falls
amesdani@isu.edu
geology.isu.edu
www.mapwindow.org