This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Working with HIS Server

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:37 PM

We can harvest a list of services from HIS Server.  The result includes "Metadata Contact" info and "Dataset Contact" info.  In HydroDesktop, we can associate a single Contact with each web service. 

Should this contact be the Metadata Contact or the Dataset Contact?

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:46 PM

When we created the underlying database for the HIS Server Capabilities web service, we looked mostly at the ISO 19115 metadata standard and picked out the minimum elements that were required by that standard.  It had both a dataset contact and a metadata contact.  The dataset contact would be the persion who collected the data and would know the technical detials.  The metadata contact would be the data/server manager who is posting and managing the data.  Probably the best thing to do would be to use the Dataset Contact info.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:19 PM

In HydroDesktop.Data, there's now a HISServerClient class for working with HIS Server.  I added a method to get a list of wateroneflow services.  Jeff, feel free to check what I've done and to add more methods!

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:25 PM

HIS Central requires a unique code for each service.  This code is typically the network prefix for the service.  Actually, I think is HAS to be the network prefix.  Can you include the ServiceCode for each service in the appropriate web method responses?  This would take us further down the path of automated harvesting by HIS Central.

Also, how do I read the relative path to the MapMarkerURL, images/icons/blue-dot.png?  What goes in front?