This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Working with HydroDesktop SQLITE database in QGIS

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Hi,
With my colleagues in Finland I am trying to open the HydroDesktop SQLITE database in Quantum GIS. We need to display the sites in the map, and display different layers - grouped by variable, or by time period - in the map.
It appears that by default the current HydroDesktop SQLITE db is not "Spatially Enabled"
That is, it doesn't have the geometry_columns table and the required "geometry" column in the Sites table.
I'm researching an easy method how to add the geometry column to the Sites table using SpatiaLite GIS. If successful, this could make it much easier to work with HydroDesktop data in QGIS.

If anybody already has experience working with the HydroDesktop SQLite db in QGIS, please post here.
Apr 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Eventually we decided to use R statistical software with the R spatial analysis packages: sp, gstat, maptools, rgdal and automap. First, we export the data from HydroDesktop to a text file with "DateTimeUTC", "Latitude", "Longitude" and "DataValue" columns with HydroDesktop "Data Export" tool. Then we wrote a simple script in R that can filter the data (for example extract values for a specific day) and do the geostatistical analysis and kriging interpolation. So far we found the approach more flexible than the GeostatisticalTool because we can easily script a bulk interpolation: For example, we can create series of maps with the same spatial resolution and color-scheme for each day in our R script.