Currently new users are confused how the selection in HydroDesktop works, especially selecting shapes in the map like selecting states or selecting countries.
Here is a suggested change to the interface:
Area search option: Current view, Draw Rectangle, Selected Features
- these 3 options should be toggle-buttons (only one option can be switched on at one time)
Map quick navigation tools: Pan, In, Out,
- these 3 options control the mouse cursor (zoom in cursor, zoom out cursor, pan cursor)
Map selection tools: Select by Map, Select by Table, Unselect
- Select by map: changes mouse cursor to 'select' and allows selecting features in current layer
- Select by table: displays the attribute table window for the current layer, and allow selection there
- Unselect (currently named 'clear selection'): unselects all selected features in current layer
- Attribute Table (currently named 'select by attribute')
Additional changes: Improve the tooltip text. Instead of Select Features, show: 'Select features in the current map layer'
Please comment if you think this re-design will improve end-user experience in HD search.