This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

How to write plugin config for database connections?

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I am developing an new hydrodesktop plugin, and I am using sqlite for my data storage. Then I got the problem that the database connection did not work. And I guess the problem may come from the app.config file, because I noticed that there are some difference in scheme between my auto-generated config and those in the origin plugins.

Next is the auto-generated config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
  <connectionStrings>
    <add name="EarlyWarningSettingsEntities" connectionString="metadata=res://*/Model1.csdl|res://*/Model1.ssdl|res://*/Model1.msl;provider=System.Data.SQLite;provider connection string='data source=&quot;D:\SOFTWARE\Dotspatial\HydroDesktop 6.28\HydroDesktop 6.28\EarlyWarningSettings&quot;'" providerName="System.Data.EntityClient" />
  </connectionStrings>
</configuration>

So, how can I modify the file to make the connection works?

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Hello,

We are in the midst of a transition period for the HydroDesktop development team. Someone will answer your questions as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and sorry for any inconvenience. 

Coordinator
Aug 28, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Can you give some more information about your project? Does the plugin load at all? - Dan

Aug 29, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Hi,

It looks that you are using Entity Framework to work with your local database, is it? Can you show what error you got? It may be whatever...

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:08 AM

Well, thank you.

This is the error message I got.

"The specified named connection is either not found in the configuration, not intended to be used with the EntityClient provider, or not valid."

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:16 AM
Edited Aug 30, 2012 at 7:18 AM

When you create your ObjectContext (EarlyWarningSettingsEntities) you should use code like this:

var configPath = GetType().Assembly.Location;
var config = ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(configPath);
var connectionString = config.ConnectionStrings.ConnectionStrings["EarlyWarningSettingsEntities"];

var container = new EarlyWarningSettingsEntities(connectionString.ConnectionString);
// Work with container....

In this case your plugin will read connection string from app.config for your plugin.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Well, thank you very much.