This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

What should behavior be when invalid keyword is provided?

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:47 PM

If I search with the keyword "asdf" then it appears that results are returned for all variables as if I had entered "HydroSphere". What do you think HydroDesktop should do in this situation?  Should it:

A. Supply no keyword to HIS Central, which I think is the same effect as entering HydroSphere, which means you'll get back results for all variables.  This is the current behavior, but I don't know if that was the intended behavior.

B. Supply the keyword as the user entered it to HIS Central.

C. Prompt the user to enter a valid keyword before continuing the search?

As a side note, what appears to be happening programmatically is that it tries to match the text to a valid keyword, but as soon as it hits a letter with no matching keyword, it includes that letter in the keyword and then stops.  You can see this by clicking the Keyword Selection button after entering "asdf" in the Keyword text box on the ribbon.  So, for "asdf," the keyword is "asd" because asd is between the nearest matching keywords of Ascomorphella and Asellidae.

In the case of "HydroSphere" or an invalid keyword like "asd," I think HD just sends a null or empty string to HIS Central, because when I click Run Search, the keyword parameter is blank.

Jun 29, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I think before search HD should check all entered keywords to correctness, and if at least one keyword is invalid, than show message to user.

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Edited Jul 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Hello,

By 'valid' I assume: in the hydrosphere list.

If there is an existing keyword "conductivity" but I enter "conductance," is there a way to suggest another similar variable based on similar first letters?

When I do a google search and mispell it, google gives me suggestions for correct/other spelling.