EPA Delineate

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Is seems like New Mexico has issues with the EPA delineation.  Does a state actually need to have water before it can delineate basins? 

I'm getting 'Error searching for watershed. Unterminated string. Expected delimiter: ". Line 1, position 119.'  for just about everywhere I try in the state.  Other regions are working fine. 

Any tips from gurus?

Thanks,
Stephen B

Coordinator
Mar 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I've also tried delineating watersheds in New Mexico without success. The only part of NM where delineation gives results is in the Canadian river basin.

This is a known issue in the EPA Delineation tool - the EPA Delineation web service doesn't have the streams in New Mexico Rio Grande basin connected to the NHD+ network.

The change I made in HydroDesktop 1.4.10 is now correctly displaying the actual error message returned by the server: "The selected flowline (stream segment) is not connected to the NHDPlus stream network". instead of the user-unfriendly error.

I've contacted the EPA Waters team and asked them what is the schedule for supporting new Mexico.

Jiri Kadlec

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Thanks for the update Jiri.  Hopefully the EPA will get around to including us soon.  Basin analysis is even more important when you don't have much water.

Thanks again,
Stephen B