This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Extending HydroDesktop with download of other kind of data?

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Hi all,

I posted already a few comments in this forum, however, I didn't introduce myself yet.

I'm Anja and work in the hydrology department of a Belgian university. I'm currently doing a bachelor programme in informatics and for the final (programming) project I would like to extend HydroDesktop with some features. My department would like to use HydroDesktop and HydroServer to store the hydrological data that we have bought in a database, however, this data is property of the department so will be used only as an unpublished web service. We have also maps, tables and more metadata that we would like to make downloadable through HydroDesktop, however, the search function is not foreseeing this kind of downloads and neither is HydroServer. I was wondering if there are any plans or interests to extend HydroDesktop (and/or HydroServer) to this kind of functionality or if this is a good plan?

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!

Regards,

Anja

Dec 13, 2011 at 4:29 PM
This is a good plan and we would welcome you to work with us on it. For example you could post a design or detailed recommendations for how this would be implemented. You could also work on the code directly if you are interested.

- Dan

--------------------------
Daniel P. Ames, Ph.D. PE
Associate Professor, Geosciences
Idaho State University - Idaho Falls
dan.ames@isu.edu
geology.isu.edu
www.mapwindow.org

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 8:59 AM, AnjaC <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I posted already a few comments in this forum, however, I didn't introduce myself yet.

I'm Anja and work in the hydrology department of a Belgian university. I'm currently doing a bachelor programme in informatics and for the final (programming) project I would like to extend HydroDesktop with some features. My department would like to use HydroDesktop and HydroServer to store the hydrological data that we have bought in a database, however, this data is property of the department so will be used only as an unpublished web service. We have also maps, tables and more metadata that we would like to make downloadable through HydroDesktop, however, the search function is not foreseeing this kind of downloads and neither is HydroServer. I was wondering if there are any plans or interests to extend HydroDesktop (and/or HydroServer) to this kind of functionality or if this is a good plan?

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!

Regards,

Anja

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (hydrodesktop@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email hydrodesktop@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Hi Anja,

Thank you for your interest in contributing to HydroDesktop.

I recommend the following approach for distributing maps with HydroDesktop:

HydroDesktop is extensible by user-created extensions. There are two methods for publishing extensions: (a) Extensions that are shipped with the HydroDesktop installer and (b) Extensions that are available online. The online extensions approach is a bit similar to the "AppStore" in IPhone or Android or to "Packages" in R.

You can view and install the existing online extensions by going to File -- Extension Manager -- "Online" tab.

To create a simple extension for distributing maps would involve the following steps:

1. In C# or VB.NET create a DotSpatial Extension - you can use our tutorial on http://download.codeplex.com/Download?ProjectName=dotspatial&DownloadId=292713

2. Include your shapefiles and raster files in the output build directory of your extension

3. In the activate method, write code which will check if the user is authorized to access the maps and if the user is authorized, display the shapefiles and rasters as layers in the HydroDesktop map.

4. Create a NuGET package that will include the DLL of your extension and the map shapefiles and raster files. After you publish this package on myget.org, it will be automatically recognized by the HydroDesktop Extension Manager and users will be able to download it.

The approach described above works well for distributing maps in an "old-school" way as shapefiles or raster files. If you are more interested in implementing a more modern standards compliant web service approach, then you should explore some of the following technical solutions:

* ArcGIS Online - The support for searching and downloading maps from ArcGIS online is on the wish-list for a future version of HydroDesktop, but this work item has not been assigned to any of the HydroDesktop team members yet. We would be certainly happy if you  take over the responsibility for implementing the ArcGIS Online support in HydroDesktop.

* WMS, WFS, WCS services - Adding support for these OGC web services is also high priority for a future HydroDesktop version. This includes adding support for HydroServer web map services. Currently only a limited subset of WMS is supported in the WebMap extension. We welcome your collaboration on implementing this functionality.

Regards,

Jiri