Idea for improving metadata cache search option

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I got one idea how to make the "HIS Central" / "Local Metadata cache" option more intuitive to use:

The locally registered web service is really an extra "Data Source". Following Tim's suggestion in today's phone call:

1) Rename the "Web Services" search criteria to "Data Sources"

2 On the bottom of the panel add an option "Add Data Source.." or "New Data Source.."

3. This will launch the existing "Service Management" dialog for adding an unpublished WaterOneFlow service URL

4. after downloading metadata from the service, the "Keyword" list and keyword tree is updated by adding an extra node to the tree view

(Note: if the variable names in the registered service follow the ODM controlled vocabulary convention, then no extra keywords need to be added to the tree view)

Please comment if this is a good suggestion

Developer
Oct 20, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I like this idea.  I presume that once added, the new web service just becomes one on the list of web services listed on the new equivalent of the current options web services list to be checked or unchecked.  This also opens the option of searching across multiple catalogs that host different services by also just adding a new server data source and having its web services added to the list.  One could have an expanding and collapsing tree in the web services list that groups services as from catalog A, catalog B, Unregistered, etc.  This changes the concept of the Server being searched a bit, to searching on a set of services.  The server that a service comes from would have to be saved as an attribute of each service (perhaps it already is). 

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I also like this idea. In the current beta version 1.3.225 the adding and managing of a data service occurs in two separate windows, if the previous suggestions are not followed then it might be handy if adding and downloading the metadata and time series data would be in one screen instead of two different menu items. However, it is already quite straight forward in the current version.