This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Committing Plugin Binaries

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Should we be committing binaries of our plugins when we make changes, or does the automated builder handle this? If it doesn't, should it?  Are the plugins rebuilt when an installer is made?

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:51 PM
Hi James,
The automatic builder handles building the plugins. Each time before an installer is made, the automatic builder rebuilds the plugins.
So we shouldn't be committing binaries of our plugins when we make changes. If I committed the updated binary of the search or FetchBasemap plugin during last couple of days, then it was by mistake.

We've been working on re-organizing the HydroDesktop project namespace and also we'll remove the plugin binaries from the SVN repository (each developer may re-build the plugins himself for testing).

Jiri

2011/2/7 jseppi <notifications@codeplex.com>

Should we be committing binaries of our plugins when we make changes, or does the automated builder handle this? If it doesn't, should it? Are the plugins rebuilt when an installer is made?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (hydrodesktop@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email hydrodesktop@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Jiří Kadlec
Geospatial Software Lab
Idaho State University
Feb 7, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Sounds good, thanks for the answer.

I wonder if perhaps the more "core" plugins should be represented in the repository so that each developer does not have to rebuild those core plugins (graph, search, etc.).  Could the automated builder rebuild plugins as they are modified/checked-in to the repo and then commit those binaries (rather than just when an installer is made)? 

This is more of a suggestion/idea; I don't know if it is the best course of action, and perhaps this doesn't really even make sense after we switch to Mercurial.