This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Default Map Projection

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:26 AM

When the user opens HydroDesktop for the first time, he's presented with the world map in the 'Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere' projection. This was necessary due to technical limitation of the 'Online Basemap' plugin and limited DotSpatial reprojection capabilities.

The Mercator projection is not the best one to use for a world map (Greenland is twice as big as Africa..)

I suggest using a projection with less area distortion (such as Winkel Tripel, Wagner, Eckert IV, Eckert VI) for the world map, and only use Web Mercator (reproject the shapefiles on-the-fly) when the Online Basemap is active.

Any thoughts from the group?

Coordinator
Feb 7, 2011 at 3:48 AM

What we really need is to be able to reproject the base maps on the fly so that people can work in any projection. How hard would this be?

- Dan
--------
Daniel P. Ames Ph.D.
Idaho State University Dept. of Gesciences
dan.ames@isu.edu
--------
Sent from my Droid

On Feb 6, 2011 9:26 PM, "jirikadlec2" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: jirikadlec2
>
> When the user opens HydroDesktop for the first time, he's presented with the world map in the 'Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere' projection. This was necessary due to technical limitation of the 'Online Basemap' plugin and limited DotSpatial reprojection capabilities.The Mercator projection is not the best one to use for a world map (Greenland is twice as big as Africa..)I suggest using a projection with less area distortion (such as Winkel Tripel, Wagner, Eckert IV, Eckert VI) for the world map, and only use Web Mercator (reproject the shapefiles on-the-fly) when the Online Basemap is active.Any thoughts from the group?
>
>